How to drain your cold water tank
- Make sure the mains water is turned off at the Stopcock.
- Turn on all the cold water taps and flush the toilet several times. This will empty the cold water storage tank and stop the flow of water.
- If you have an open fire burning you should let it burn out and do not light it again until the burst pipe has been fixed.
- Turn off oil or gas heating systems and do not use again until they have been checked.
- Do not use the water heater as this may cause the hot cylinder to collapse.
- Do not turn on the water supply at the Stopcock until the burst pipe has been repaired.
- If the water has come into contact with electrical fittings the electricity should be turned off at the mains.
- If you are going to be away from your home for more than a day or two during cold weather you should drain down the cold water system as described above.