|Hilary McKenzie & Graham Barton from ABC Estate Agents, Glengormley.|
NI Water and Glengormley based ABC Estate Agents have co-operated to encourage property owners and tenants to ‘Beat the Freeze’ should another severe winter occur this year.
Following on from the successful, ‘Two Step Pipe Check’ campaign of 2012, the new ‘Beat the Freeze’ message reinforces the call to check that homes and businesses are prepared for the cold weather conditions.
Graham Barton at ABC Estate Agents, commented: ‘‘Many householders and businesses suffered badly during the major freeze thaw of 2010/11, and there is no guarantee that the winter of 2013/14 will not see a return to those severe conditions. We would encourage everyone to take steps to protect their water pipes, as any pipes inside a property boundary are the responsibility of the property owner. NI Water’s ‘Beat the Freeze’ leaflet and a supply of branded stop-valve tags, are available from our office on the Antrim Road in Glengormley, and we encourage people to act upon the advice given.’’
Sean McAleese, Head of Networks Water at NI Water, said: ‘‘We are very pleased that ABC Estate Agents are supporting us in this important campaign – any home owner or tenant who was adversely affected during the last freeze/thaw event will not wish to experience something similar again. We urge the public to take simple steps now in order to avoid severe damage later.’’
The advertising campaign will be rolled out through various media outlets including TV, radio, print and billboards. An information leaflet is currently being distributed to all households in Northern Ireland.
All media enquiries to NI Water Press Office on 028 9035 4710 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes to Editors:
- NI Water has produced a handy stop valve tag to encourage customers to locate their valve in the event of a burst pipe. Customers can obtain a free tag and other promotional items, including room temperature cards and ice scrappers by phoning our Waterline number 08457440088, emailing or contacting us through Facebook or Twitter
- NI Water also have a Customer Care Register which is designed to meet the needs of those requiring extra help or support from the organisation. Joining is simple; customers can telephone the Waterline number or obtain further information by visiting our website www.niwater.com
In January 2011 a single burst pipe in a vacant business property lost over 30 million litres of water. This was enough to:
- Supply a family of 4 with water for 137 years
- Fill 15 million kettles
- Make 120 million cups of tea
- You could have 375,000 baths
- You could have 850,000 showers
- Flush a toilet about 3,000,000 times